Saturday, July 22, 2006

Why write a blog?

Yesterday, too lazy to go out after a very heavy seafood lunch, I sat at home online and manage to catch up with an old classmate of mine. A week before this, I got a notification from Friendster that she has started a blog. Curious on how she was doing and a little 'kepoh', I went to check out her blog.

In her blog was the usual stuff on her normal daily stuff, plus...an *interesting (wink, wink)* incident on her dating life. So, while catching up on the normal stuff (work, work and work), I casually mention that I've been reading her blog (so that she don't have to beat around the bush to get to her lovelife stuff). Her reaction was one that I have not expected.

She literally said "You've read it!!! No one was supposed to read it! I'm so embarrassed"......

I was speechless for a moment and then I asked....

"Why write a blog when you don't want anyone to read it?"

Then she go on explaining that she was bored and so she posted the incident on the blog. She didn't expect anyone would have gotten to read it. :S

Her reaction got me thinking...when I first started my blog, the purpose was not to all show-and-tell to the whole world. (Cos I was literally bitching bout my co-worker then :P).

Eventually, I told Kim bout my blog, who responded "You're bitching bout her, better not let anyone know you have this blog". And Kim, as I know, have several blogs, in which some she did not reveal to me or anyone in our group of friends.

So, is blog a form of privacy? Or a form of public show & tell?

No comments: